How To Make Dog Treats With Spent Grain
When you get done brewing extract with specialty grains or all grain brewing, you always have left over grain. Well, waste no more – you can turn this spent grain into dog biscuits.
Making dog treats out of spent grain is pretty easy. My dogs love them (I got 3 big ones, the smallest weighs about 115 lbs) and these treats go pretty quick. One thing that I need to state though is, make sure that you don’t have any hops included with the spent grain. Hops are actually harmful to dogs and will kill your dog or cost you for vet bills.
So this is the recipe that I use, I know that there are other ones out there but this one is pretty easy.
Dog Biscuit Recipe
4 cups grain which has been steeped
4 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
- Take all your ingredients and mix in a large bowl, until it looks pretty evenly mixed up.
- Take the dough like substance put it on a cookie sheet that has tin foil on it.
- Press down and make it so that it’s an even thickness – don’t make them too thick!
- Either use a cookie cutter to make shapes if you are creative or, take a knife and cut them into squares.
- Spread them evenly over the baking sheet and bake for about 30 min at 350 F to solidify them.
- After they have cooked, take them out, loosen them from the tin foil, and break apart if needed.
- Spread them around evenly if needed.
- Put them back in the oven at 225 F for 8 to 10 hours to dry them thoroughly (this will prevent any potential mold growth.)
- Store in an air tight container.
So try it out, I’m sure that there are other recipes that are floating around the internet or variations. Either way it’s pretty easy, and my dogs love them. I figure a treat for me (beer) and a treat for my dogs (spent grain) and everyone is happy.